The main institution for Austro-Hungarian empire’s geodetic surveys and mapping in 1840-1918 – the Military Geographical Institute foundation and activity history and its contribution to Galicia mapping is highlighted. The Institute provided geodetic data and relevant topographic information to region. After moving from Milan to Vienna the Institute performed a Second military (Franciscan) Austro-Hungarian empire’s survey (1806-1869), which data was used for Galicia and Bukovina detailed topographic map in scale of 1:28 800 on 458 sheets compiling. As a result of Third military survey (1869-1887) the Military Geographical Institute publishes a Special topographic map scaled 1:75 000 that completely covered the Galicia territory. A number of overview topographic maps were created based on these maps. An Institute legacy has multi-sheet Lviv topographic plans. The Institute contribution to Galicia thematic mapping development is considered, in particular “Galicia geological atlas” scaled 1:75 000 and numbers of road maps publishing. It’s noted that many MGI employees were involved into geodetic and cartographic work in Galicia. Among the numerous surveyors, topographers and cartographers, the leaders and organizers of such work especially highlighted.
1) Drbal A., Kotsab M. . Czech surveyors and cartographers in Western Ukraine (1772-1938). Modern achievements of geodetic science and production, Collection of the Western Geodetic Society UTGC, Lviv Polytechnic National University Publishing House, Lviv. 18–23p. (in Ukrainian)
2) Kretschmer I. . Austrian cartography ꞉ Viennese writings on geography and cartography. Institute for Geography and Regional Research at the University, Vienna, 317 p. (in Germany)
3) Konias A. . Topographic cartography of Cieszyn Silesia and the Austrian Partition from the second half of the 18th century to the beginning of the 20th century. Publishing House of the University of Silesia, Katowice, 259 p. (in Poland).
4) Messner R. [1967- 1969]. The Vienna Military Geographic Institute. Yearbook of the Association for the History of the City of Vienna. 206–292 p. (in Germany).
5) Rylke S. . Vienna Military Geographical Institute. Rus.disabled. 244–246 p. (in Russian).
6) Regale O. . Contributions to the history of the state mapping and mapping in Austria up to 1918. Publishing house of the Notring of the Austrian Scientific Associations, Vienna, 86 p.
7) Sossa R.I., Padіuka N.V. . New special map of Austria-Hungary at a scale of 1:75,000 on the territory of Ukraine. From the collections of the Lviv Scientific Library of Vasyl Stefanyk National Academy of Sciences Ukraine. Journal of Geodesy and Cartography, 3, 51–56 р. (in Ukrainian).
8) Sossa R., Padіuka N., Ohorodnyk T. . Catalog of Austrian topographic maps of Ukrainian lands (1870–1918). Historical and geographical research in Ukraine. Collection of scientific works, 12, 155–162 р. (in Ukrainian).
9) Sossa R.I., Musienko A.V. . The second (Franciscan) survey as an important stage of topographic mapping of Galicia and Bukovina. GeoTerrace-2018, Lviv, 134–137 p. (in Ukrainian).
10) Szajnocha W.l. . Cartography in Austria. Mitteilungen des k.k. Militärgeographischen Institutes. Lviv newspaper, 26,30,35, Lviv, 1–2 vol. (in Poland).