The paper presents an algorithm for constructing a geoid based on the external gravitational field of the Earth, the radius vector of which is determined from the condition of the constancy of the potential on the equipotential surface. The values of the coordinates of such a figure calculated by the iterative method are discrete points in space, and therefore, using them, it is possible to visually construct a three-dimensional geoid image or in the form of contour maps on a plane. A formula for an a priori estimate of the accuracy of determining the radius vector of the Earth's figure is derived, based on the theory of implicit functions of many variables. Approbation of the described technique is carried out on a specific example. The calculation results confirm the convergence of the iterative process in determining the values of the radius vector and a high degree of calculation accuracy (5-6 cm). Therefore, this approach complements traditional assessment methods and can be fully used to study the shape of the Earth.
Barthelmes, F. (2009): Definition of functionals of the geopotential and their calculation from spherical harmonic models: theory and formulas used by the calculation service of the International Centre for Global Earth Models (ICGEM), http://icgem.gfz-potsdam.de, (Scientific Technical Report STR ; 09/02), Potsdam : Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ, 32 S.: Ill., graph. Darst. p.
- Hofmann–Wellenhof Dr. B., Moritz Dr. H. Physical Geodesy. Springer New York, 2005. — 403 p.
- Meshcheriakov G. A. Problems of potential theory and generalized Earth. M: Science, Сhief editor of physical and mathematical literature, 1991. — 216 p. (in Russian).
- Lemoine, F.G., et al. The Development of the Joint NASA GSFC and the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) Geopotential Model EGM96, NASA Technical Report NASA/TP-1996\8-206861, 1998.
- Pavlis N.K., Holmes S.A., Kenyon S.C., Factor J.K. An Earth Gravitational Model to Degree 2160: EGM2008/ EGU General Assembly 2008. Vienna, Austria, April 13–18, 2008.
- Smith A. The EGM96 geoid: Subtle points on the use of a global geopotential model. IGeS Bulletin No. 8, International Geoid Service, Milan, Italy. —1998. — p. 17-28.
- Zazuliak P. Fundamentals of mathematical processing of geodetic measurements [text]: textbook for students of higher educational institutions / P. М. Zazuliak [and other]; editor. V. І. Gavrysh. — L.: Rastr-7, 2007. — 408 p. — ISBN 978-966-2004-03-8. (in Ukrainian).